What is BilWrite and how can it help students?
BilWrite is a free service provided by the Faculty Academic English (FAE) Program of Bilkent University School of English Language. The service is open to all Bilkent undergraduate and graduate students who would like to receive help and feedback on their writing assignments (except for students in FAE courses). We are sorry, but we can only offer services to current Bilkent students, not former students.
Where is BilWrite?
The BilWrite office is in G 159.
How does it work?
- Students who want to use services provided by BilWrite need to make a consultation appointment by e-mail.
- Alternatively, a faculty member can also refer a student to BilWrite by filling in a referral form (copy attached or on-line) and sending the form and student to BilWrite.
What happens during a consultation?
- Consultations allow students to work one-on-one with a writing consultant.
- The consultants will help students understand their writing tasks and focus on particular skill areas that have been identified as needing improvement.
- Students can also work with consultants on revising and polishing a piece of writing before turning it in.
- The consultants will also provide feedback on the overall organization of the paper, clarity, coherence, language structure and word choice, and whether it meets the requirements of the task.
BilWrite consultants can . . .
- provide feedback in order to help students become better writers.
- help with grammar, but do not correct or ‘fix’ papers.
- work only with writers and their texts (don’t bring a friend’s paper).
BilWrite consultants do not . . .
- write papers for students.
- proofread papers (i.e., correct all errors).
- provide any help to ENG 101/102/401 or PHIL 241/242 students, as the students of these two courses already have one-on-one feedback tutorial sessions on their papers with their course instructors.